HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Former 49ers Coffee: NFL "ruins a lot of lives" but “never say never”

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xujudi
Simply Sports Junior

PostSubject: Former 49ers Coffee: NFL "ruins a lot of lives" but “never say never”   Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:18 am

Glen Coffee abruptly walked away from an NFL career last August, saying he was focusing on his Christian faith, but the former San Francisco 49ers running back says "never say never" about returning to the game.

Actually, he back, sort of, playing semipro football, as a linebacker, in his native Florida while taking online classes at the University of Alabama, where he starred before going to the 49ers in the third round of the 2009 draft.
He played just one season in San Francisco before informing former 49ers coach Mike Singletary during last year's training camp that he was done. His reasons for quitting have baffled many, but he told The Sacramento Bee this week that the NFL "ruins a lot of lives" and that he takes his cues from "the Lord."
"People just keep asking me [why], and it's like, 'Ok, why are you asking me that?'" Coffee said. "And their No. 1 reason -- their only reason -- is money. It saddens me, man. If your only focus is money, you're going to be sorely disappointed. A lot of people, they chase money. And when they get the money they think, 'OK, what now? There's got to be more than what I'm feeling now?' ...
"As far as the NFL goes, I have a hard time putting it like this because it sounds kind of harsh, but I feel like it ruins a lot of lives more than anything else. And that goes for people who have short careers in the NFL and long careers in the NFL. Because what happens is they see that as success. And money throughout your life has nothing to with your salvation in Christ.

Back to top Go down
http://greatjersey.com
Jakey
Simply Sports Addict

Birthday : 1995-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Former 49ers Coffee: NFL "ruins a lot of lives" but “never say never”   Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:12 pm

This is the Soccer/Football section. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://sportschat-666.forumotion.com/index.htm

Former 49ers Coffee: NFL "ruins a lot of lives" but “never say never”
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1